He drew a circle that shut me out–
Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout.
But love and I had the wit to win:
We drew a circle and took him In!
– Edwin Markham (from "Outwitted")
Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done.
One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn
pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.
– Robert A. Heinlein (from "The Rolling Stones")
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
– Arthur C. Clarke (from "Profiles of The Future")
All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies.
Anyone unable to understand how a useful religion can be founded on lies will not understand this book either.
– Kurt Vonnegut (from "Cat's Cradle")
truth is like a mouse
hiding itself behind walls
afraid to be seen
– Nathan Tobol
lies are nasty rats
scurrying across the room
bold and repugnant
– Amy Tobol
it pierces my hands and feet
a cruel stigmata.
– Taiyoo Inu (from "Zen and the Art of Chickenwire")
If it hurts, rub it.
– Philip Graber ("Unc")