This is the recipe I use for the apple sauce that I serve with the potato pancakes I make every year for
- a lot of firm tart apples (do not use soft sweet apples like Delicious or Honey Crisp because they will deprive the resultant sauce of its texture).
- 3 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 blade of mace
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 cup Splenda
- Peal, core and slice enough apples to fill a 2 quart sauce pan almost to the top.
- Add enough water just cover the apples.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Boil uncovered over a low flame (or equivalent on an electric stove), stirring occasionally. Do not mash the apples as they cook (the apples will break up naturally in the cooking process).
- The sauce is done when the volume is reduced by half and the sauce has reached the desired consistency.
- Serve hot or cold.