Eggplant and Zucchini
- 1 Medium Eggplant
- 2 tbsp Coarse Salt
- 1 Medium Oniom
- 4 Zucchini
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 3 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 3 tsp Jamaican Curry Powder
- 1 14½ oz. can Diced Tomatoes
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 tbsp Salsa (I use Mila's hot)
- Remove stem end from eggplant and cut into ½″ thick slices.
- Sprinkle the coarse salt on the slices and arrange on a plate with paper
towels under, over, and between layers of the eggplant.
- Put another plate on top of the eggplant and put a clean weight (a large
phone book works perfectly) on top.
- Let the eggplant sit for about 1 hour to express the dark brown bitter juice.
- Wash the eggplant and cut into 1″x1″ pieces.
- Peel and dice the onion into ½″x½″ pieces.
- Remove the stem and blossom ends from the zucchini and cut them into
- Slice the garlic into very thin slices.
- Put oil into a 2-quart saucepan and heat over medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauté (stirring frequently) until the onions just start to brown.
- Add the eggplant, zucchini, garlic, and curry powder.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add diced tomatoes, salt, pepper and salsa.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook (uncovered) until sauce is thick and the
eggplant and zucchini are soft. Stirring occasionally while cooking to keep the
sauce from sticking to the bottom of the pan and burning.