I first encountered this wondrous beverage on a business trip to Norway in
the winter. It was being sold in the evening by street vendors. I decided then
and there I had to learn how to make it. After a bit of experimentation I came
up with this recipe. It tastes the same as the drink sold by my favorite vendor.
It was, and still is, the perfect drink on a cold night.
- a cup of sugar
- 2 bottles of port
- 2 bottles of sherry
- 4 oz. Cinnamon Bark
- 1 oz. Whole Cloves
- 3 oz. Whole Allspice
- 2 oz. Whole Nutmeg
- 5 oz. Orange Peal
- 20 cardamom seeds
- a cheese cloth bag
- 2 cups of raisins
- 1 cup of slivered almonds
- 1 cup of brandy
- Mix together the sugar, port and sherry.
- Put the spices in the cheese cloth bag and add to the wine.
- Heat covered for 45 minutes (do not boil).
- Add the raisins and the slivered almonds.
- Heat for 15 minutes more.
- Add brandy.
- Serve hot.