Lemon Meringue Pie
- Gluten free pie crust mix
- Any other ingredients required by the instructions on the box
- 1 cup Splenda
- 5 tablespoons gluten free pie crust mix
- ⅛ teaspoon lemon extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups water
- Juice and zest of 2 lemons
- 4 eggs yolks
- 4 egg whites
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 8 tablespoons Splenda
- Make pie crust according to directions on box.
- Seperate the eggs being very careful to get no yolk into the whites.
- Beat the egg yolks and set them aside.
- In a 2 quart sauce pan, mix the all of the filling ingredients except the egg yolks.
- Bring to a boil over low heat while whisking rapidly.
- Turn off heat.
- Add the cooked material a little at a time to the beaten eggs, while whisking rapidly.
- Once all of the cooked material has been added to the beaten eggs, pour into baked pie shell and bake at 375° until filling has set (10 to 15 minutes).
- Add cream of tartar to the egg whites.
- Beat egg white mixture to a froth.
- Add the Splenda to mixture 1 tablespoon at a time while beating.
- Keep beating until stiff peaks form.
- Put meringue on top of pie and bake at 350° until peaks of the meringue are brown (about 10 minutes).
- Cool to room temperature.