Red Curry with Eggplant and Chickpeas
This is a wonderful vegetarian main dish that can also be serve as a hearty side dish.
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 small onions, slivered
- thumb of ginger, peeled and sliced thin accross the grain
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons of garam masala
- 15 oz. can organic chickpeas
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 5 purple and 5 white/green egg-sized eggplants, stem end removed and sliced in half
- 4 Roma tomatoes, cut into 8 pieces
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in large frying pan. Add onions and saute until they just start to
- Add ginger, garlic, and 1 teaspoon of gram masala.
- Cook until the garlic just start to color. Do not let the garlic burn because
that will make it bitter.
- Add the can of chickpeas and water.
- Add red curry paste and stir until paste is compleatly desolved.
- Add the eggplant. Cook until the eggplant just begins to soften.
- Add the tomatoes and the remaining teaspoon of the gram masala.
- Cook until the egplant is soft but not mushy.
- Add the cornstarch while stirring rapidly. Cook until thickened.
- Turn off heat (if cooking on an electric stove, move pan off burner
in addition to turning off heat).
- Stur in cilantro.
Serve over rice.