Adapted from “Christmas Cookies from Around the World”
Russian Tea Cakes
My wife likes the flavor of walnuts in Russian Tea Cakes but she does not like the
texture of the walnut chunks. This version of the recipe resolves that issue.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup powdered splenda
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup walnuts
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar (for dusting)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Arrange walnuts on a cookie sheet in a single layer.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, checking frequently.
- Let nuts cool then break into pieces.
- Separate the nut pieces from bitter chaff (discard chaff).
- Put nuts between two sheets of waxed paper and crush with a rolling pin until fine but not powdered.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice butter into thin pieces and add vanilla.
- Add powdered sugar and mix until light and fluffy.
- Mix flour and salt together.
- Gradually add the flour/salt mixture, mixing well after each addition.
- Stir in the nuts and roll dough into 1-inch balls. Flatten balls slightly and place
on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, until cookies begin to lightly brown.
- Let cookies cool until just slightly warm.
- Put cookies into plastic bag with powdered sugar and shake until well coated.
- Open bag to allow cookies to breath until fully cool then seal bag.
Makes: 2 dozen cookies