Smoked Corn Beef
- Corned beef brisket (about 3 pounds)
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 tbsp of pickling spices
- 3 Indonesian long peppers (Piper retrofractum)
- 1 tsp whole pepper corns
- Put a corned beef brisket, 3 cloves of garlic, and the pickling spices in a pot.
- Simmer until the the meat is tender (about 3 hours).
- Add water as required to keep the water level in the pot above the meat.
- Skim the scum off the water when it forms, being careful not to remove too many of the pickling spices
(if you do remove a large amount of the pickling spices, add more spices to replace those removed).
- When meat is tender, remove from water and allow to cool.
- Grind together 3 cloves of garlic, the Indonesian long peppers, and the whole pepper corns.
- Rub the garlic and pepper mixture all over meat and refrigerate for 6 to 12 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator and allow to warm to room temperature.
- Smoke over a slow charcoal fire for about 2 hours.
Serve hot with good rye bread and assorted mustards.