My wife an I are members of a carnivorous plant society
(LACPS). Before the
December 15, 2007 potluck, a member posted “I'm thinking about baking something
in my N. bicalarata pitchers...something akin to stuffed green peppers, but with
a lot of wild mushrooms to help bring out their earthy flavor???.”
Her comment turned out to be a joke, but it got me thinking about cooking in
- 3 oz mushrooms diced into ¼ inch pieces
- 1 medium onion diced into ¼ inch pieces
- 1 cup rice
- 1 can of coconut cream
- 1 t salt
- 1 t curry powder
- 3 T oil
- 1 cup of water
- About a dozen young Nepenthes traps
- Clean the Nepenthes traps and set them aside.
- Heat oil in large fry pan.
- Add mushrooms and onions and sauté until softened.
- Add rice and sauté until onions begin to turn light brown.
- Add curry and salt.
- Add coconut cream.
- Fill the Nepenthes trap about ⅔ full of the mixture.
- Put traps into a steamer, taking care that the traps are upright and will not
fall over during the streaming process.
- Steam until the rice is temder and the water is fully absorbed (about an hour).
- Serve hot.