Tiny Lemon Pies
My wife and I love the tiny lemon pies that they sell in Chinatown. I recently had some egg yolks left
over (see "How to Make a Purple Cake") and so I decided to see if I could duplicate
them. They came out anazingly well so I am sharing my recipe.
- Gluten free pie crust mix
- Any other ingredients required by the instructions on the box
- Mini-muffin pans (ideally 4)
- 1 cup Splenda
- 5 tablespoons gluten free pie crust mix
- ⅛ teaspoon lemon extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups water
- Juice and zest of 2 lemons
- 4 eggs yolks
- Make pie crust according to directions on box.
- Roll out the pie crust thin and cut out rounds about ½″ larger (e.g. 2½″) then
the diameter of the mini-muffins (typically 2½″).
- Press the rounds into the muffin openings in the mini-muffin tins. Put a few
dried beans into eack to keep the bottom of the pie crust flat during baking.
- Bake until golden brown.
- Let cool. Remove the beans (save for use next time you need to keep the
bottom of the pie crust flat during baking).
- Beat the egg yolks and set them aside.
- In a 2 quart sauce pan, mix the all of the filling ingredients except the egg yolks.
- Bring to a boil over low heat while whisking rapidly.
- Turn off heat.
- Add the cooked material a little at a time to the beaten eggs, while whisking rapidly.
- Pour the filling into the mini pie shells and bake at 375° until filling has set (7 to 12 minutes).
- Cool to room temperature.
Makes about 4 dozen.