Adapted from “Christmas Cookies from Around the World”
Sugar and Gluten Free Russian Tea Cakes
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup powdered splenda
- 2 cups gluten free flour (e.g. Bob's Red Mill)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup walnuts
- ⅓ cup powdered Splenda (for dusting)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Arrange walnuts on a cookie sheet in a single layer.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, checking frequently.
- Let nuts cool then break into small pieces.
- Separate the nut pieces from bitter chaff (discard chaff).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice butter into thin pieces and add vanilla.
- Add powdered Splenda and mix until light and fluffy.
- Mix flour and salt together.
- Gradually add the flour/salt mixture, mixing well after each addition.
- Stir in the nuts and roll dough into 1-inch balls. Flatten balls slightly and place
on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, until cookies begin to lightly brown.
- Let cookies cool until just slightly warm.
- Put cookies into plastic bag with powdered Splenda and shake until well coated.
- Open bag to allow cookies to breath until fully cool then seal bag.
Makes: 2 dozen cookies